The classic shirt has had a makeover at long last and there is finally so much variety to choose from! Flounce sleeves, bell sleeves, extra long sleeves, asymmetrical cuts, covered in frills – the list just goes on and on. Whilst these shirts can totally be incorporated into your workwear wardrobe they are still stylish enough to be worn out for drinks with friends or for a date night too. Versatile and chic – this is a trend we are loving right now! Sara Donaldson of Harper and Harley has been owning the statement shirt look for ages but if £300 seems like too much to spend to get her look then the good news is that the trend has finally filtered through to high street too.
How To Style Your Statement Shirt
- For a casual look team your statement shirt with a pair of jeans and your favourite pumps or sling back loafers.
- To dress up your look style your shirt with a pair of straight leg trousers or culottes and a classic pair of stilettos.
- If your shirt has lots of ruffles, flounces or frills keep the bottom half of your outfit simple to avoid looking OTT.
- Opt for a solid colour over patterns as it is more likely to stand the test of time and you are guaranteed to get more wear out of it.
- Be bold, if you don’t want to spend money on a brand new shirt then why not have a go at up-cycling one of your old ones? Try it on back to front or style it off your shoulders.
- If you want to layer over the top opt for something with a cropped sleeve in order to still show off your shirt’s best features.
- Have fun with your look – after all, the shirt has been boring for way too long, it’s time to mix things up a bit!
Lily is wearing
Shop Statement Shirts
Which trends are you excited to try this season? Will you be buying into the statement shirt trend?