I’m a big fan of pinafore dresses, they go with pretty much everything and right now there are so many choices available. You can purchase them in denim, leather, suede and dare I say it – even corduroy! The pinny is a big trend for autumn/winter and once you get past the fact that pinafores were traditionally worn to protect the clothing underneath whilst doing household chores then I’m sure you will love it too! I’ve received so many compliments on mine and because it’s such a versatile piece I wore it throughout the summer and am still wearing it even now that winter is fast approaching. I promise you won’t end up looking like a dinner lady – just follow my simple style tips below.
How to style your Pinafore dress
- Pinafores can be worn all year round as they are so versatile; for the summer months pair with a plain t-shirt or a cropped top and for the winter months a roll neck is always a good idea.
- For an effortless 70s vibe layer your pinafore dress over a pair of your favourite flares.
- For midi lengths like mine a cute pair of heeled ankle boots look great.
- For shorter length pinafores a pair of thigh high boots are perfect to bring it into fall.
- Team with a pussybow blouse and a pair of killer heels for a dressed up look.
- For a casual day time look dress yours down with a chunky knit cardi over the top and a pair of chelsea boots.
- If you plan on wearing a chunky knit underneath your pinafore then you may want to buy your dress a size larger than usual.
- A printed shirt can help make your outfit look more interesting.
I bought my button down pinafore dress from Warehouse in their summer sale (anyone else loving Warehouse since their rebrand?) Unfortunately it is no longer available online but I have put together a widget filled with my top pinafore dresses and coordinating pieces to style them with. I hope you like them!
Will you be making the pinafore dress your wardrobe staple this winter?